Just you and your partner, your family, or a small group you assemble no larger than 8 people - along with our expert guide - will discover a turtle coming out of the ocean.
You'll sit with her as she digs her nest, lays her eggs, and returns to the ocean. It's a fascinating part of her lifetime adventure described below...
Why your Private Turtle Nesting Expedition
will be so unforgettable
Many years ago, she broke out of her egg, climbed up through the warm sand, and stumbled down to the ocean shore – through a gauntlet of predators. Perseverance was the first chapter of her life.
She is the one in 10,000 who survived.
She roamed for all those years through thousands of miles of ocean. Now she’s big, protected by her big shell and a long life of adventures that made her strong and safe.
You too have been roaming the ocean of your life adventures.
After dinner, finding your turtle
After dinner, your private guide will take you on a 10 minute boat ride to the mouth of the Jaloba River where you will disembark and begin to walk the beach.
He will first ask you to stand still and close your eyes for several minutes, when you open them again, your eyes will have gotten used to the darkness and you will be ready to begin your walk. That is very important because flashlights scare the turtles and are not allowed.
Private turtle expedition cost
The price per person for the expedition includes the guide for your small private group, and the Turtle Celebration Banquet. Price depends on number in your small group.
2 people = $395 each For children 17 or less
3 people = $310 each subtract $50 each.
4 people = $255 each
5 or more = $225 each
Maximum of 8 people in your group.
Reserve right away because...
If you would like to experience this Private Turtle Nesting Expedition which includes the elegant Turtle Celebration Barbeque dinner be sure to reserve right away for your small private group of your husband/wife/family/friends.
If you’re enjoying some other people at the lodge and want to include them in your private expedition, we welcome that, so long as your total group is no more than 8 people.
We can only offer one expedition per night for one private group of up to 8 people. Make reservations at the front desk of Tortuga Lodge on a first come first served basis.
The low cost “Standard” Turtle Tour
There are many disadvantages (listed below) of the Standard Tour. So why do we offer it at all?
We can only offer the Private Expedition to one group each day. Hopefully, you will reserve fast enough to be included during your stay.
If you don’t reserve fast enough to get in on the Private Expedition, we want you to have a fall-back opportunity, since seeing a nesting turtle at all is such a special experience.
You may already have the $29/person Standard Turtle Tour included in your itinerary, and when you upgrade to the Private Turtle Expedition, we’ll credit you.
The only advantage of the Standard Turtle Tour is extremely low cost.
But there are all the following disadvantages…
The disadvantages of the Standard Turtle Tour
- Instead of your private group of up to only 8 people gathered around the turtle, you’ll be with a group of up to 50 people.
- Only on a Private Expedition will each person be able to have an up close and personal connection. That makes for an intense, memorable experience you can’t get from a picture, a video, or the standard large group tour.
- Only your Private Turtle Nesting Expedition group takes a 10 minute boat ride to an isolated stretch of sand that you’ll have virtually to yourselves. That’s far more conducive to seeing turtles and their entire experience.
- Also, the elegant Turtle Celebration Dinner is not included in the Standard Tour.
How the Standard Turtle Tour assembles...
Groups of up to 10 people gather at a dispatching point within 15 minutes of the hotel, and wait their turn for a tracker who is on the beach with a radio to report a turtle.
Then up to five groups (of up to 10 per group) are dispatched per turtle.
As soon as the nesting is over, groups must leave the beach to make way for the next group. There are 2 sessions per night assigned by the park service: 8pm to 10 pm, and 10pm to midnight. Participants cannot choose their session.
Participants who have not seen a turtle by the end of their session have to wait until the next night to try again.
Therefore, our recommendation is...
If you can get a reservation for the new Private Turtle Nesting Expedition instead, we recommend you do so. It’s in another league. The deeper first hand experience and lifetime memories are worth it.
This opportunity is limited to a very few people in Costa Rica – locals and travelers “in the know.”
But do go on one of the Turtle Adventures for sure.
Make reservations at the front desk of Tortuga Lodge or through your travel planner if you haven't yet arrived -- all on a first come first served basis
Additional Intriguing facts about sea turtles
- A Giant Sea Turtle routinely dives for about 5 minutes and surfaces to breath for only 3 seconds. She can dive up to 4,000 feet.
- She can rest or sleep underwater for several hours.
- She navigates by the earth’s magnetic field, and travels thousands of miles in open ocean.
- After some 30 years of maturing, she usually returns to the same beach where she was born, to lay up to hundreds of eggs. And from then on, she comes back to do it every few years.
- Amazingly, the gender of the hatchlings depend on the temperature of the sand. Hatchlings find the beach by going toward the brightest horizon.
- All species of sea turtles are threatened or endangered.
After your Private Turtle Nesting Expedition, she’ll be back in the infinite ocean. As you drift off to sleep after your intimate encounter with her, perhaps you’ll wonder where she is now, and what she’s doing.